This late-Gothic, triple-nave church has its origins in 1250 but was only completed with the extension of the bell tower in 1566. Behind its grand brick façade, the barnlike interior was stripped of all its adornment in the Alteration of 1578. Rembrandt’s beloved first wife lies in vault 28K, which bears the simple inscription “Saskia Juni 1642.” The magnificent 1728 organ is regularly used for recitals. The church, which officially was designated as a museum in 2016, hosts two annual site-specific contemporary art installations, in summer and winter. The tower, which once was open to guided tours, is currently undergoing restoration with no reopening date set.
- Frommer's Staff