- The Apache Trail (east of Phoenix): Much of this winding road, which passes just north of the Superstition Mountains, is unpaved (sometimes precariously so) and follows a rugged route once traveled by Apaches. This is some of the most remote country in the Phoenix area, with far-reaching desert vistas and lots to see and do along the way.
- Desert View Drive: While everyone else is crowding through the Grand Canyon’s southern entrance, take the lesser-used east entrance to the South Rim and cruise along forested 25-mile-long Desert View Drive to Grand Canyon Village. There are just a few overlooks, but they deliver some of the park’s most awesome views.
- Oak Creek Canyon (Sedona): Slicing down from the pine country outside Flagstaff to the red rocks of Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon is a cool oasis. From the scenic overlook at the top of the canyon to the swimming holes and hiking trails at the bottom, this canyon road provides a rapid (and scenic) change in climate and landscape.
- Canyon de Chelly National Monument (Chinle): This fascinating complex of canyons on the Navajo Indian Reservation has limited public access because it is still home to numerous Navajo families. However, roads that parallel the north and south rims of the canyon provide lots of scenic overlooks.
- Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park (north of Kayenta): This valley of sandstone buttes and mesas is one of the most photographed spots in America and, because of the countless movies, TV shows, and commercials that have been shot here, is familiar to people all over the world. A 17-mile dirt road winds through the park, giving visitors close-up views of such landmarks as Elephant Butte, the Mittens, and Totem Pole.
- Mount Lemmon (Tucson): Rising some 7,000 feet above Tucson, this massive peak has some impressive rock formations, an incongruous mountain town at the top, and in winter, lots of snow. Drive up the Catalina Highway from the east side of town to see it all.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.