It’s pretty easy to find a club or bar in Athens. When in doubt, head to Psirri, once a nighttime nest of hooligans and these days the place to be for anyone who wants to partake of nightlife. Beyond that: Gazi is the city’s up-and-coming gay district, clubs and bars in Exarchia are popular with students, and the pedestrian streets and squares of Plaka and Thissio are chockablock with outdoor cafes and bars, many with gardens or rooftops. Venues come and go all the time, and many of the bigger dance clubs close up shop in Athens for the summer and move out to seaside resort communities. Most nightspots don’t heat up until midnight, and many don’t even open until 11pm or later and stay open until 5 or 6am.
Some of our favorite spots:
- 45 Degrees: Bypass the crowded bar downstairs and head straight to the rooftop terrace overlooking the Acropolis—a mellow place to begin or end your nighttime exploration of the surrounding Gazi bars and clubs.
- Balthazar: A handsome courtyard garden, and the elegant interiors of a neoclassical mansion, attract a well-heeled crowd who enjoy lounge music and a light menu.
- Alexander's at the Hotel Grande Bretagne: Alexander the Great, centerpiece of an 18th-century tapestry, hangs over the bar, keeping an eye on what many seasoned travelers claim is the best hotel lounge in the world. A clubby atmosphere, along with a huge selection of single malt Scotches and cigars (dispensed from a walk-in humidor), give the place an old-boy aura, but in these upscale environs, the "old boy" next to you may well be a prince or oil baron. Try the house’s signature drink, a delicious concoction laced with the oils of Sicilian tangerines.
- Booze Cooperativa: Occupying three floors of an old factory, Booze Cooperativa offers a little bit of everything—coffeehouse, bar, dance club, art gallery, screening room, meeting place. Music is often live, and at other times provided by some of the city’s most popular DJs.
- My Bar: More intimate and less rowdy than its Gazi counterparts, this Monastiraki gay bar is just as energetic and all the better for its grown-up vibe.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.