Occupying 2 1/2 acres on a hilltop above downtown, this small house museum is a holdover from Texas’s brief stint as an independent nation—and from its days as a slave-holding state. The oldest surviving house in Austin still standing in its original location, it was built by Count Alphonse Dubois de Saligny, France’s representative to the short-lived Republic of Texas (1836–1845). Dubois sold the house to Dr. Joseph W. Robertson in 1848; he, his wife, their 11 children, and nine enslaved workers all lived on the site, and it remained in their family’s possession for close to 100 years. The house is furnished with antiques dating from the 1840s to the 1870s, some belonging to Count Dubois or the Robinsons. At the rear of the house is a reconstructed kitchen of the era (the original burned down). In late 2017, the house came under the aegis of the Texas Historical Commission; the state allotted $1.56 million to address its many structural problems. The site is currently closed for restoration; check the website for status reports.
French Legation State Historic Site
802 San Marcos, Austin, TX, USA
Our Rating Neighborhood East Side Hours Currently closed for restoration Transportation Bus: 4 and 18 stop nearby (at San Marcos and Seventh sts.). Go east on Seventh St., then turn left on San Marcos St Phone 512/472-8180 Prices Admission $5 adults, $3 seniors, $2 students/teachers, free for children 5 and under Web site French Legation Museum
Map802 San Marcos Austin TX USA Austin
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.