In a miniscule garret at the top of the narrow stairs, Edgar Allan Poe composed some of his first poems, stories, and other writings. He lived here from 1833 to 1835 with his grandmother, aunt, and cousin Virginia, whom he later married. The five rooms are remarkably well-preserved but oh how small the space is, with room for about a dozen visitors. And yet there are so many reminders of what life must have been like for the young writer: portraits, a few pieces of period furniture, Poe's own writing desk and chair, and mementos from the Allan family with whom Poe lived in Richmond. The house is located on a one-way street but has no house number. Look for a black antique street lamp out front and two markers on the house. Call to verify hours, and do not walk here—drive or take a cab. The house is open only on weekends June to December. The house is not handicapped accessible, the stairs are challenging, and there are no restroom facilities. Nearby—and nearly always open during daylight hours—is Edgar Allan Poe's Grave at the Westminster Hall and Burying Grounds. (southeast corner of Fayette and Green Streets, ( 410/706-2072; There are three monuments to the poet who wrote "The Tell-Tale Heart" and "The Raven," which inspired a certain NFL team name. After the 40-year-old Poe died mysteriously in Baltimore in 1849, his relatives erected a small grave here. But before the stone could be installed, a train crashed through the yard and destroyed the gravestone. Now near the entrance gate, a bas-relief bust of Poe, a small gravestone on his original burial lot at the back of the cemetery, and a plaque placed by the French pay homage to the master of the horror story. Call to arrange for a tour; they are offered the first and third Fridays at 6:30pm and Saturday at 10am April through November and cost $5 for adults, $3 for children. Special events are held at Halloween and on the weekend closest to Poe's birthday, January 19.