Lidai Diwang Miao is where Ming and Qing emperors made sacrifices to the emperors of previous dynasties. Built on the grounds of a former Buddhist temple (Bao'an Si), there's nary a Buddha in sight. Rulers didn't always come in person, but their representatives diligently carried out sacrifices in spring and autumn. The Yongzheng emperor, who killed his brother to usurp the throne, had more reason to pray than most, and made five appearances during his short reign. The layout is akin to Tai Miao in miniature, with an imposing spirit wall opposite the entrance, and two horse-dismounting tablets on either side of the entrance. There were originally three marble bridges and a spectacular wooden memorial arch (pailou) outside the entrance; these feudal elements were demolished in 1953 and 1954. Curatorial standards are improving: Patches of the original ceiling have been left in their original state, touch-screen displays in the exhibition halls roughly translate the captions, and there is even an admission of past vandalism. The original wooden tablets, once housed in the impressive twin-eaved main hall, were smashed during the Cultural Revolution. Their replacements look inauthentic, but the original order has been preserved. Central position goes to the legendary ruler Fuxi, and his successors are arranged outward in order of venerability, one to the left, one to the right (yi zuo yi you), a seating arrangement still followed by China's rulers. The most striking feature is the intricately carved stelae (nearly 8m/26 ft. tall) set to the east and west of the main hall.