Just to the east of the town center, this park has an interesting history. It was used for such low activities as horse racing and cock fighting until the 18th century, when an archbishop converted it into a lush park surrounded by Georgian buildings. The courthouse at its northern end was destroyed by an IRA bomb in 1993, but then rebuilt. It dates from 1809, and was designed by a local architect, Francis Johnston, who went on to create much of Dublin's famous Georgian architecture. Opposite the courthouse, the gloomy Armagh Gaol (jail), was built in 1780 and remained in use until 1988.