advertisement

Berlin’s oldest restaurant, dating from 1525, occupies two floors of a much-restored baroque building in the Nikolaiviertel (Nicholas Quarter), and has a series of wood-paneled dining rooms, including one with an old-fashioned Kachelofen (ceramic stove) where Napoleon supposedly warmed his tootsies one cold Berlin day. The menu is as traditional and atmospheric as the dining rooms or the quick-witted waiters who have worked here for decades. Main courses include Old Berlin staples like grilled herring, meatballs, and braised lamb knuckles with green beans and dumplings. For dessert, try the chocolate-covered pancakes filled with blueberries, vanilla ice cream, and whipped cream.