Bermuda has long been a favorite destination of newlyweds. Its hotels, from deluxe resorts to guesthouses, attract lovers of all kinds looking for a little peace, solitude, and seclusion.
Although some couples seek out small cottages and guesthouses, most prefer a package offered by one of the splashy resort hotels. The following resorts feature not only romance, but also some of the best deals around.
Note: It's a good idea to consult a travel agent for help in getting the best bargain.
- Tucker's Point Hotel & Spa (Hamilton Parish; tel. 866/604-3764 or 441/298-9800; www.tuckerspoint.com): This is the most opulent resort in Bermuda. On 80 private hectares (200 acres) of the most beautiful seafront in Bermuda, the 88-room resort is a posh pocket of privacy. With four swimming pools, a championship golf course, a state-of-the-art spa, and a private pink-sand beach, lovers will adore this resort's romance and honeymooners will want to return for a second honeymoon. It's that special.
- The Fairmont Southampton (Southampton Parish; tel. 866/540-4497 in the U.S. and Canada, or 441/238-8000; www.fairmont.com/southampton): The island's most luxurious hotel does everything it can to attract honeymooners seeking lots of activities, from watersports to nighttime diversions (other than those in the honeymoon suite). Its honeymoon packages, which start at 4 days and 3 nights, include breakfast and dinner on a MAP (modified American plan), "dine-around plan" (dinner and breakfast are included in the hotel rate, but you can dine in any of the two Princess resorts' restaurants), a bottle of champagne, a basket of fruit, admission to the exercise club, and even a special-occasion cake, plus a souvenir photo and a watercolor print by a local artist.
- Elbow Beach Hotel (Paget Parish; tel. 800/223-7434 or 441/236-3535; www.mandarinoriental.com/bermuda): This hotel promises "marriages made in heaven." Its Romance Packages include a daily breakfast, plus a candlelit dinner for two in your room on the first night. Upon departure, newlyweds receive a copy of the Elbow Beach Cookbook.
- Cambridge Beaches (Sandys Parish; tel. 800/468-7300 in the U.S. or Canada, or 441/234-0331; www.cambridgebeaches.com): Few other resorts in Bermuda boast as loyal a roster of repeat guests, with some elderly clients breaking records for as many as 40 repeat visits. Recognizing the allure of their resort for couples and repeat visitors, Cambridge inaugurated, in 2008, an aggressive new self-image as a resort for relationship-building, sexual healing, and romantic "rediscovery." As such, it articulates New Age sensuality with more verve and gusto than any other hotel in Bermuda. Couples in search of self-discovery (or rediscovery) love it.
- Grotto Bay Beach Resort (Hamilton Parish; tel. 800/582-3190 in the U.S., 800/463-0851 in Canada, or 441/293-8333; www.grottobay.com): This resort, which actively caters to honeymooners, features everything from midnight swims at a private beach to cozy lovers' nests with private balconies overlooking the ocean. The honeymoon packages include romantic dinners and arrangements for cruises and walking tours, as well as optional champagne, fruit, and flowers.
- Pompano Beach Club (Southampton Parish; tel. 888/537-6448 or 441/234-0222; www.pompanobeachclub.com): The first and only American-owned hotel on Bermuda, this hotel appeals to couples in search of privacy, intimacy, and a sense of mystical union with the sea, which seems to roar and foam virtually onto its foundations. And within a cottage colony whose exterior boasts an almost universal shade of pink (they call it pompano pink; lovers refer to it as Valentine pink), how could romance possibly take a back seat?
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.