- A Visit to Faneuil Hall Marketplace: Street performers, crowds from all over the world, the food court, restaurants, bars, and shops make Faneuil Hall Marketplace (you'll also hear it called Quincy Market) Boston's most popular destination. It's conveniently located across the street from the harbor, where a stroll along the water can help your crew decompress.
- An Exploration of the Museum of Science: Your kids will revel in the displays and exhibits that cram every branch of science and inquiry into this enormous and child-accessible institution.
- An Excursion to the Public Garden: A perfect retreat during or after a busy day of sightseeing. Ride a Swan Boat, visit with the Mallard family of Make Way for Ducklings fame, admire the real birds, and marvel as the whole family starts to chill out.
- A Trip to the Boston Children's Museum: The hands-on exhibits, noisy galleries, and overall air of discovery and excitement make this excursion catnip for the elementary-school set.
- A Thrill "Ride": The Mugar Omni Theater (at the Museum of Science) and the 3-D Simons IMAX Theatre (at the New England Aquarium) offer intrepid visitors hair-raising experiences in the safety of a comfortable auditorium. Most of the large-format films concentrate on the natural world.
- A Tour of Fenway Park: The creaky, cramped home of the Boston Red Sox, which opened in 1912, is a baseball shrine that entrances visitors. Adolescents too cool to admit that they're having fun at other attractions tend to drop any pretense of boredom here, and younger kids unabashedly love it. The parents, saving a bundle by not paying for game tickets, tend to agree.
- A Spell in Salem: A 12-year-old of my acquaintance — now a college graduate who still cringes when I tell this story — returned from a visit to Salem proclaiming that he wanted to become a witch. Manageable size, interesting attractions, and plenty of space for running around make the Witch City a great choice for an all-ages day trip.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.