Opened in 1992, though begun in the 1970s, this modern architectural oddity stands on the land of the former Presidential Residence where Eva Perón died. (The building was demolished by the new government so that it would not become a holy site to Evita's millions of supporters after her death.) It is a spectacular example of 1970s Brutalist architecture that was popular under the dictatorship. Built almost as a fortress, among its distinctions are its porthole windows at ground level, the raising of the structure off the ground, long approach ramps, moatlike berm landscaping, and the difficulty in determining where the actual entrance is. With its underground levels, the library's 13 floors can store up to 5 million volumes. Among its collection, the library has 21 books printed by one of the earliest printing presses, dating from 1440 to 1500. Visit the reading room -- occupying two stories at the top of the building -- to enjoy an awe-inspiring view. The library also hosts special events in its exhibition hall and auditorium.