This was once the site of a temple, and excavated relics show that it dates back to the Baekje Kingdom (not a surprise given its location). But its name dates from a tile found near the remains of a sitting Buddha statue, which reads, TAEPYEONG THE EIGHTH YEAR MUJIN JEONGNIMSA DAE JANG DANG CHO, which falls in the 19th year of the reign of King Hyeonjong of the Goryeo Dynasty, or around A.D. 1028. After a 5-year excavation, locations and arrangements of buildings and ponds were confirmed and now the site shows where they were. To prevent further deterioration of the remaining Buddha statue, a structure has been built around it. Besides the Buddha, only a five-tier granite pagoda and a lotus pond remain of the original temple complex.