An hour southwest of Calgary is this well-preserved and still-operating cattle ranch, a national historic site. Some say this is where corporate ranching was born: The Bar U ran a big operation, employing thousands of cowboys and running hundreds of thousands of cattle from 1882 to 1950. As ranches modernized and herds grew, Bar U owner Patrick Burns sold off parts of the vast ranch in 1950, bringing its dominance to a close. But the original Bar U site, with its horse barns, bunkhouses, mess hall, and office, remain intact. Thirty-five buildings, all told -- a slice of Alberta history, perfectly preserved.