- Lamb and Lion Inn (Barnstable; tel. 800/909-6923 or 508/362-6823): Part B&B, part motel, this historic Cape cottage has been turned into a comfortable lodging with a pool. Hallways have murals, and rooms are creatively decorated.
- Old Sea Pines Inn (Brewster; tel. 508/896-6114): This reasonably priced, large historic inn is a great spot for families. Accommodations range from small singles with shared bathrooms to family suites. In summer the dining room is the location for weekly dinner theater performances.
- The Orleans Inn (Orleans; tel. 800/863-3039 or 508/255-2222): Don't miss this inn, perched right on the edge of Town Cove, and make sure to get a room facing the water. Built in 1875, the inn has been restored to its former grandeur. The water view and great location make this a terrific value.
- The Inn at Duck Creeke (Wellfleet; tel. 508/349-9333): In one of the Cape's most charming towns, this humble and historic complex offers no-frills rooms, some with shared bathrooms, for bargain prices. With such grandmotherly touches as chenille bedspreads, it will make you feel right at home. A good restaurant and a tavern are also on the property.
- Aerie House & Beach Club (Provincetown; tel. 800/487-1197 or 508/487-1197): What sets this B&B apart among the many guesthouses in Provincetown are all the options. There is the main inn on a hill overlooking the harbor and a beachfront property. There are rooms with shared bathrooms and more deluxe accommodations. Guests can even bring pets in two of the rooms. The rates are very reasonable, especially considering the elaborate breakfast they include.
- Beachside at Nantucket (Nantucket; tel. 800/322-4433 or 508/228-2241): Although the in-season rates at Nantucket's only motel are about the same as at other B&Bs in town, the off-season rates are a real bargain. Specials could include rooms for less than $110 a night in May. The property is also one of the only lodgings in town with a pool.
- Edgartown Inn (Edgartown; tel. 508/627-4794): This quirky, old-fashioned inn is located in the heart of Edgartown. The smells of freshly baked goodies fill the air, and the staff is friendly and helpful. Most important, prices have stayed reasonable, a rarity on the Vineyard.
- Wesley Hotel (Oak Bluffs; tel. 800/638-9027 or 508/693-6611): This imposing 1879 property, overlooking Oak Bluffs Harbor, is a solid entry in the good-value category, especially with its low off-season rates. It's a no-frills hotel with a great Vineyard location, just steps from Circuit Avenue, the heart of Oak Bluffs.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.