This is the fifth-oldest church in Charleston, founded in 1731 by Scottish immigrants who broke away from the Circular Congregational Church (First Scots is now part of the Presbyterian Church U.S.A.). The seal of Scotland in the windows over the main entrance can still be seen. The church was constructed in 1814; its design was inspired by St. Mary’s Cathedral in Baltimore, whose architect, Benjamin Latrobe, also designed the U.S. Capitol. The walls of this massive brick church are 3-feet thick and covered with stucco, and twin towers rise above a pillared portico. The church bell that was donated to the Confederacy during the Civil War, to be melted down for use as cannonballs, was eventually replaced by an English bell made in 1814, the same time of the church’s construction.
- Frommer's Staff