This pretty white confection is the only remaining French Calvinist church in the U.S., offering weekly church services in English as well as an annual service in French each spring. It was founded in 1681 by Huguenot refugees from Protestant persecutions in France. The first church built on this site in 1687 was destroyed in 1796 in an attempt to stop a fire. It was replaced in 1800, only to be dismantled in 1844 to make way for the present Gothic Revival building designed by Edward B. White. The church suffered heavy damage by shellfire during the Civil War and was nearly demolished in the earthquake of 1886. The original Tucker organ—one of the rarest in the country—is from 1845.
- Frommer's Staff