This distinctive Neoclassical church was the first brick building owned by African-Americans in Charleston. Originally completed in 1848 as the Glebe Street Presbyterian Church, it was purchased in 1882 by members of the Emanuel A.M.E. Church when that sanctuary had become too crowded. The 54th and 55th Massachusetts Regiment worshiped here while stationed in Charleston. The church is known for offering the best choral music in Charleston, with six different choirs. Music ranges from classical hymns to original and unarranged black spirituals, many from the 18th century.
- Frommer's Staff