Built as the Customs House in 1771, this grand Palladian edifice served as a British barracks and prison in the Revolutionary War; local martyr Isaac Hayne spent his last night here before being hanged in 1781. The building housed the Charleston Post Office from 1815 to 1896 (with brief interruptions due to earthquake and war), and in 1913 it was sold to the Daughters of the American Revolution. Today the main floor contains exhibits on the history of the town and the building, while the top floor is home to the Great Hall and Isaac Hayne Room, and the lower-level dungeon displays mannequins and dioramas of pirates and patriots.
Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon
Our Rating Hours Daily 9am–5pm Phone 843/727-2165 Prices Admission $9; $14 with Old Slave Mart Web site Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon Other Bay St. Closed Thanksgiving Day and Dec 23–25
Map122 E Charleston
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.