Completed in 1859, on the eve of the Civil War, slave auctions were held in this shed, once part of a complex of buildings known as Ryan’s Mart. Slaves stood chained on auction tables here, 3-feet high and 10-feet long, placed lengthwise so potential buyers could examine them during the sale. Slave auctions ended in 1863. Now a poignant museum dedicated to African-American history and the slave trade, rare recordings of ex-slaves are preserved inside, along with a permanent exhibit, “Triumph over Slavery.”