Dedicated in 1811, this is the oldest Presbyterian church in Charleston, and it’s been designated by the Presbyterian Church of the United States as Historical Site Number One. When it was first constructed, it was so large and cavernous that the minister’s voice couldn’t be heard. Two pastors in a row died of pneumonia because of the winter chill. Remodeling in the late 1800s added a boiler beneath the church floor, thereby solving the heating problem, and architectural changes in 1833 that raised the floor by 3 feet and lowered the ceiling by 16 feet eventually solved the acoustical issues.
- Frommer's Staff