advertisement

Dubbed the “Mother Church of Lutherans in South Carolina,” this graceful Federal-style building dates from 1818, though the congregation was founded by German immigrants in 1742. The Italianate steeple with bell-shaped roof was added in 1859. Its church bell was melted down and given to the Confederacy for use as cannonballs in the Civil War, and it wasn’t until 1992 that the bell was replaced.