advertisement

Formally known as St. Mary of the Annunciation, this is the oldest Roman Catholic church in the state, with a congregation that dates back to 1789. The original brick church of 1801 was destroyed by fire in 1838, but was rebuilt 1 year in the plain Classical Revival style visible today, replete with Tuscan portico and parapet. Many of the tombstones in the churchyard are in French, indicating the early French influence that prevailed at the church (many of the early congregants were exiles from Haiti).