advertisement

Founded by German-speaking settlers in 1840, this was the second Lutheran congregation formed in the city. The current Gothic Revival building, erected in 1872 and rebuilt after a fire in 1965, is best known for its slim, 255-foot steeple, which remains the tallest in the state. The beautiful stained-glass windows in the chancel are part of the original structure.