A National Historic Landmark, this is one of the most impressive of America’s Colonial churches, and it remains the oldest in Charleston. The church was constructed between 1752 and 1761 in a typical Colonial style, and has changed little since then. Seen for miles around, its 186-foot steeple is a Charleston landmark, its clock bell towers imported from England in 1764. The steeple tower was used as a compass-positioning point for artillery targets during the Revolutionary and Civil wars. Both George Washington and Robert E. Lee attended services here.
- Frommer's Staff