This impressive church is nicknamed the “Lighthouse Church” because a light was once put in its distinctive steeple to guide ships into the harbor. The present building dates from 1838 (the steeple was added in 1850), and houses the oldest congregation in South Carolina (with roots back to 1680). During the Civil War, the church bells were donated to the Confederacy to be melted down and recast into cannonballs. Buried in the churchyard are such notables as John C. Calhoun (former Vice President of the United States), signers of the Declaration of Independence Edward Rutledge and Charles Pinckney, and DuBose Heyward (author and playwright).
- Frommer's Staff