Completed in 1713, this is the oldest public building in South Carolina. The “magazine” was used as an arsenal up to 1743 for the defense of the British settlement of Charles Towne against Native Americans, pirates, and Spanish and French warships. During the Revolutionary War it was re-used by the Continental Army, later serving as stables, print shop, blacksmith shop, wine cellar, and horse carriage house before being purchased by the National Society of Colonial Dames in 1902. The building now serves as a small museum of early Charleston history, displaying armor, costumes, antiques, and interactive exhibits popular with kids (who enjoy getting locked in the stocks outside).
- Frommer's Staff