advertisement

The oldest Unitarian church in the South, this is also the second-oldest church in Charleston and one of the country’s most stellar examples of the Perpendicular Gothic Revival style. Its construction began in 1774 but was halted when the Revolutionary War broke out, and was only completed in 1787. The church was remodeled and enlarged in 1852 by local architect Francis Lee, who designed the fan-vaulted ceiling, nave, and chancel, using the Chapel of Henry VII in Westminster Abbey in London for his inspiration.