A large-scale stone fortress on the slopes of Uamsan, there is no record of when it was actually built (although there are some mentions of it in writings from the Three Kingdoms period). The present structure is the one rebuilt by King Sukjong in 1716, after its restoration in 1596 from damage during the Japanese invasion. There are now three main gates, east, west, and south; two plain gates; three turrets; and three waterways. A small village inside the fortress walls includes some cozy restaurants.