The Rhineland’s leading opera house, designed by Wilhelm Riphahn and opened in 1957 after the original opera house was destroyed by Allied bombs, is underoing a major refurbishment that will keep it closed until 2015. Along with improving the acoustics and bringing the technical and stage infrastructure up to state-of-the-art standards, the project will renew the plaza and adjacent Schauspielhaus (Theater), all part of Riphahn’s postwar architectural ensemble. Until the house reopens, opera performances will be held at different venues around Cologne. The website provides complete performance and location details.
- Frommer's Staff