- Hiking to Ciudad Pérdida (Caribbean Coast): The arduous 5-day hike to the lost city of the Tayrona is one of South America’s greatest trekking experiences. You’ll encounter indigenous Kogi villages and see rare wildlife. The feeling you’ll have after climbing 1,200 stairs hidden on the side of a river to a setting that’s as dramatic as Machu Picchu will leave you speechless.
- Running Big-Time Whitewater (Northern Andes): In San Gil, Colombia’s adventure capital, you’ll find all sorts of dare-devilish sports like mountain biking, canyoning, and bungee jumping. However, nothing will test your adrenaline as much as the Class V rapids on the Río Suarez. For a more mild experience, opt for the Río Fonce.
- Surfing El Chocó (Pacific Coast): Isolated towns like Nuquí and Bahía Solano make excellent bases for surfing the strong currents and tall waves of the Pacific Coast. Surfing guides and surf lodges are quickly becoming as common as howler monkeys.
- Trekking and Climbing in the High Andes (Northern Andes): Inaccessible a decade ago, Parque Nacional Cocuy, an Andean range of towering peaks and glaciers, is perhaps Colombia’s finest high-altitude hiking destination, even with access into the interior being closed. For now, stick to short hikes from the town of El Cocuy.
- Diving the Caribbean (San Andrés & Providencia): PADI-certified dive centers can be found on these two paradisiacal islands, good places for exploring one of the world’s longest barrier reefs. Manta rays, morays, sea turtles, and giant shoals of fish are all a boat ride away.
- Swimming with Hundreds of Sharks (Pacific Coast): The remote Pacific island of Malpelo is one of the world’s most renowned dive destinations. It’s here that divers can swim with 500 hammerhead sharks at a time, not to mention catch a glimpse of the extremely rare smalltooth and tiger shark.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.