This house was built in 1855 as an officers' quarters for Arsenal Academy. After General Sherman swept through town, this was the only building on the academy grounds left standing. South Carolina governors have lived here since 1868. Visitors get to see the state dining room, the private drawing rooms, and the library, each furnished with antiques, mostly 19th century. Many of these furnishings, including a railroad baron's bed, were made in the state. Portraits of the state's more famous governors hang in the Hall of Governors. The gardens can also be visited.