Architect Walter Gropius (1883–1969), founder of the Bauhaus school of design, built this hilltop home for his family in 1938 using traditional materials such as clapboard, brick, and fieldstone, along with components then seldom seen in domestic architecture, including glass blocks and chrome. Its influence was powerful, and the building is now a designated National Historic Landmark. Modernist Marcel Breuer designed many of the furnishings. Decorated in the last decade of Gropius’s life, the house affords a revealing look at his career and philosophy.