The Best Casas Particulares
- Casa de Evora Rodríguez, Havana (tel. 7/861-7932): This top-floor "penthouse" belonging to the welcoming Evora has stunning panoramic views and the top-floor flat is full of potted plants.
- Casa Lilly, Havana (tel. 7/832-4021): On the 13th floor of a 1950s block of flats, this enormous flat has spectacular views of Vedado and the Malecón. The rooms are spacious and attractively decorated and guests share a nice living room. Run by Lilly and her family, this is a gorgeous place to stay.
- Casa Luís and Marley, Playa Girón (tel. 45/98-4258): This modern casa, with a front porch and back garden, offers two comfortable, well-equipped rooms and plenty of parking space. The family is friendly and serves great food.
- Casa Amistad, Cienfuegos (tel. 432/51-6143): Run by the super-friendly and knowledgeable Armando and Leonor, this colonial house with a wonderful front living room has two rooms and some hearty home-cooked food; the house is a stone's throw from Parque José Martí.
- Hostal Casa Colonial Muñoz, Trinidad (tel. 41/99-3673): Historic Trinidad is well stocked with beautiful colonial houses and rental rooms, but this one is distinguished by its impressive living room and ever-expanding facilities; its informative host is a photographer who knows Trinidad like the back of his hand.
- Casa Font, Trinidad (tel. 41/99-3683): A gorgeous late-18th-century colonial house in the heart of the old center, this warm and lovely family home has a great collection of antiques and a light, airy feel. For a casa particular, this is about as grand as it gets: chandeliers of Baccarat crystal, thick wood doors, colonial- and republican-era oil paintings, and mampáras (half doors in the Modernista design) enclosing bedrooms.
- Hostal Florida Center, Santa Clara (tel. 42/20-8161): This is a gorgeous 1876 colonial house filled with interesting historic furniture and blessed with a flourishing garden and welcoming host, Angel. The food served here is some of the best in Cuba.
- Hostal Villa Colonial, Remedios (tel. 42/39-6274): This lovely colonial house, with wonderful furniture and tiles, offers two rooms, one of which has an antique bronze bed decorated in mother of pearl panels. The friendly owners are very helpful.
- Casa Xiomara, Morón (tel. 33/50-4236): This modern, yet modest family home is one of the best casas in Cuba. There is one guest room in a small, independent casita. Indulge in Xiomara's wonderful food -- especially the flan de leche.
- Casa Daniel Salomón Paján, Baracoa (tel. 21/64-1443): This is one of the friendliest casas in Cuba. Daniel works at the museum and knows a lot about Baracoa's history. He has one comfortable room with a large bathroom and a central covered patio.
- Casa Maruchi, Santiago de Cuba (tel. 22/62-0767): A lovely colonial house with a wonderful patio stuffed with orchids and other plants is run by the friendly Maruchi. Two chic, comfortable rooms with exposed brickwork, Spanish colonial furniture, lace bedspreads, and candlesticks are off the patio.
- Casa Asensio, Santiago de Cuba (tel. 22/62-4600): Facility-wise, this house may be unrivaled in Cuba. It's a very large apartment with its own kitchen and a massive, private rooftop terrace. It's perfect for anyone planning to stay awhile to explore Santiago de Cuba in depth.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.