Built in 1816, and one of the earliest cast-iron bridges in Europe, the graceful pedestrian-only Ha’penny Bridge (pronounced Hay-penny) is the still the most attractive of Dublin’s bridges. Officially named the Liffey Bridge, it’s universally known by the toll once charged to cross it: half a penny. The turnstiles were removed in 1919 when passage was made free. The bridge is at its prettiest after sundown, when the old lamps atop its three filigreed arches are lit, and the underside at each end is illuminated in green. In recent years it became traditional for couples to leave padlocks latched onto the bridge, with their names inscribed, before throwing the keys into the water. Dublin’s city government now forbids the practice, seeing them more as an eyesore (and a hazard to the bridge) than a symbol of eternal love.