After years of anti-Catholic legislation, this was the first Catholic church to be legally and openly erected in Dublin, following the Catholic Relief Act of 1793. While the foundation stone was laid in 1793, many enlargements followed, until it reached its present neo-Gothic form in 1876. Among the artistic highlights are John Hogan’s Dead Christ, a sculpture displayed beneath the altar, and Phyllis Burke’s seven beautiful stained glass windows.