- Best Boutique Hotel: The Bonham, 35 Drumsheugh Gardens, Edinburgh EH3 7RN (tel. 0131/226-6050), is first class in all areas, from the ground-floor lounges and restaurant to stylish rooms.
- Best Traditional Hotel: The Balmoral, 1 Princes St., Edinburgh EH2 2EQ (tel. 800/223-6800 in the U.S., or 0131/556-2414), sets the standard for big, classic hotels in Edinburgh.
- Best Hotel for Business Travelers: For convenience, try the Radisson Blu Hotel, 80 High St., Edinburgh EH1 1TH (tel. 0131/557-9797), which offers a business center, conference rooms, and has a decent gym and pool, too.
- Best Hotel for Romance: The Witchery by the Castle, Castlehill, The Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 2NF (tel. 0131/225-5613), by Edinburgh Castle, practically specializes in creating a romantic retreat with sumptuous rooms.
- Best Hotel Spa Facilities: Sheraton Grand Hotel, 1 Festival Sq., Edinburgh EH3 9SR (tel. 800/325-3535 in the U.S. and Canada, or 0131/229-9131), edges out the competition with its indoor/outdoor rooftop pool.
- Best B&B/Guesthouse: 23 Mayfield, 23 Mayfield Gardens, Edinburgh EH9 2BX (tel. 0131/667-5806), remains a Frommer's favorite.
- Best Discreet Luxury Hotel: The Howard, 34 Great King St., Edinburgh EH3 6QH (tel. 0131/557-3500), can even offer you your own butler.
- Best Hotel in Historic Building: Prestonfield, Priestfield Rd., Edinburgh EH16 5UT (tel. 0131/225-7800), is housed in a mansion that dates to the 17th century, amid lovely country parkland.
- Best Hotel in Leith: Malmaison, 1 Tower Place, Leith, Edinburgh EH6 7DB (tel. 0131/468-5000), is walking distance to three Michelin-starred restaurants.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.