- Il Bon Gustaio (San Salvador, El Salvador; tel. 503 2528-4200; www.casailb.com): Part of the small, luxury hotel of the same name, this Italian restaurant is an alluring combination of top-notch pasta dishes and luxury surroundings. Arty interiors and lush lawns go well with the best tagliatelle in town.
- Citron (San Salvador, El Salvador; tel. 503/2208-4000; www.restaurantecitron.com): This exciting, gourmet restaurant offers seasonal, local ingredients with an adventurous, international twist. The result is dishes made from wild mushrooms and raspberries grown on volcano slopes combined with fresh seafood in eye-pleasing arrangements that go perfectly with the restaurant's stylish art-studio ambience.
- El Boton (Ataco, Ruta de los Flores, El Salvador; tel. 503/2450-5066): This whimsical little French restaurant serving quiche and crêpes perfectly complements the colorful charm of Ataco, a small hamlet on the Ruta de Las Flores.
- Entre Nubes (Ataco, Ruta de los Flores, El Salvador; tel. 503/2452-9643): This garden restaurant offers typical Salvadoran fare in a spectacular roadside setting, with coffee plants and flowers draping each nook and cranny, and a small wooded enclave to explore between courses.
- Alo Nuestro (San Salvador, El Salvador; tel. 503/2223-5116): San Salvador is packed with excellent restaurants offering cuisines from around the world. But even in that crowded market, Alo Nuestro stands out for its simply delicious food. The frequently changing menu is a fusion of San Salvador's many ethnic restaurants, with an emphasis on local ingredients. The service is top-notch, and the ambience is formal but comfortable.
- Restaurante Barde La Rioja (Lago de Coatepeque, El Salvador; tel. 503/2441-6037): Tasty cream of crab soup and lake fish stuffed with shrimp are just some of the choices at this handsome restaurant on a two-story pier sitting high off the water, with great views and afternoon breezes, overlooking the Hotel Torremolinos' grounds and lake.
- Señor Tenedor (San Salvador; tel. 503/2211-8326): Señor Tenedor is all modern lines and sensual colors. Booths sit beneath sweeping, translucent silk tied with deep red satin. Live violin music accompanies modern Italian cooking and a nice selection of international wines.
- Los Patios (Ruta de las Flores, El Salvador; tel. 503/2401-8590): This upscale, modern hacienda-style eatery has a mountain-view patio overlooking thousands of coffee beans laid out to dry.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.