- Trekking in the Parque Nacional Los Volcanes (El Salvador): Climb the "Lighthouse of the Pacific," a nearly perfect cone known as Volcán de Izalco. It is the park's most visually dramatic volcano and challenging climb, requiring a nearly 3-hour scramble up a steep, rocky, and barren moonscape to the 1,952m (6,404-ft.) summit. Izaco is also one of Central America's youngest volcanoes -- it formed in 1770 and erupted almost continuously until 1966.
- Zip-Lining over a Coffee Farm (El Salvador): Zip on steel cables hundreds of feet off the ground, over lush forests and coffee plantations near the town of Apaneca, on the Ruta de las Flores circuit in El Salvador. Thousands of white coffee flowers cover the fields below, and you can see all the way to Guatemala's active Volcán Pacaya. Conclude the adventure with a steaming cup of locally grown brew.
- Hiking & Swimming in Parque Nacional El Imposible (El Salvador): Parque El Imposible is one of El Salvador's largest, most lush, and richest-in-wildlife national parks, and it's dotted with streams, waterfalls, and natural swimming holes that are perfect for swimming. Tacuba, the small town just outside the park, serves as a great base camp for hiking trips.
- Bird-Watching in the Bahía de Jiquilisco (El Salvador): In between Isla de Montecristo and the beaches to its east is the huge island Bahía de Jiquilisco. Its largely undeveloped inlet offers untouched natural beauty, with dozens of mangrove-lined channels to paddle, islands to explore, great views, and beautiful ocean and bay beaches. The bay is also a major stop for 87 types of migratory birds and a nesting ground for sea turtles. It remains one of El Salvador's most untouched and naturally beautiful areas.
- Surfing the Balsamo Coast (El Salvador): Bodysurfers bob in the water waiting for their turn to ride the waves. The Balsamo Coast is a stretch of bays and inlets famous for its surf. Tourists and El Salvadorans alike flock here on weekends to enjoy the waves, black-sand beaches, laid-back vibe, tasty seafood restaurants, and new and unique hotels.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.