Residents of the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom do not need visas and can enter the country at the border with presentation of a valid passport and the purchase of a $10 30-day tourist card. (Visitors can also ask for a 90-day card when entering the country.)

El Salvador is part of a 2006 border control agreement with Honduras, Guatemala, and Nicaragua, allowing travel among the four countries under one tourist card. The number of days of your tourist card is determined at the first of the four countries entered.

El Salvadoran Embassy Locations

In the U.S.: 2308 California St., NW, Washington, DC 20008 (tel. 202/265-9671; fax 202/232-3763;

In Canada: 209 Kent St., Ottawa, Ontario, K2P 1Z8 (tel. 613/238-2939; fax 613/238-6940).

In the U.K.: Mayfair House, 8 Dorset Sq., Marylebone, London, NWI 6PU (tel. 0207/224-9800; fax 0207/224-9878).

In Australia: Consulate only: Level 3, 499 St. Kilda Rd., Melbourne, VIC 3004 (tel. 03/9867-4400; fax 03/9867-4455;

In New Zealand: Consulate only: 1/644 Manukau Rd., Epsom, Auckland 1023 (tel. 09/649-625-4770).


The websites listed below provide downloadable passport applications, as well as the current fees for processing applications. For an up-to-date, country-by-country listing of passport requirements around the world, go to the "International Travel" tab of the U.S. State Department website at

For Residents of Australia -- You can pick up an application from your local post office or any branch of Passports Australia, but you must schedule an interview at the passport office to present your application materials. Call the Australian Passport Information Service at tel. 131-232 or visit the government website at

For Residents of Canada -- Passport applications are available at travel agencies throughout Canada or from the central Passport Office (Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Ottawa, ON K1A 0G3; tel. 800/567-6868; Note: Canadian children who travel must have their own passport. However, if you hold a valid Canadian passport issued before December 11, 2001, that bears the name of your child, the passport remains valid for you and your child until it expires.

For Residents of Ireland -- You can apply for a 10-year passport at the Passport Office (Setanta Centre, Molesworth Street, Dublin 2; tel. 01/671-1633; Those 17 and under, or 66 and older, must apply for a 3-year passport. You can also apply at 1A South Mall, Cork (tel. 21/494-4700) or at most main post offices.

For Residents of New Zealand -- You can pick up a passport application at any New Zealand Passports Office or download it from their website. Contact the Passports Office at tel. 0800/225-050 in New Zealand, or 04/474-8100, or log on to

For Residents of the United Kingdom -- To pick up an application for a standard 10-year passport (5-year passport for children 15 and under), visit your nearest passport office, major post office, or travel agency; contact the United Kingdom Passport Service at tel. 0870/521-0410; or search its website at

For Residents of the United States -- Whether you're applying in person or by mail, you can download passport applications from the U.S. State Department website at To find your regional passport office, either check the U.S. State Department website or call the National Passport Information Center's toll-free number (tel. 877/487-2778) for automated information.


Visitors to El Salvador can bring in no more than 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars, 2L (2 qt.) of alcohol, and gifts worth up to $500. Like in most countries, there are heavy restrictions on the import and export of plants, animals, vegetables, and fruit.

Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.