The shopping around here is far from fabulous, but if you’re hankering for a wee browse, there are a handful of shops worth popping into.
- Antiques: For nostalgia, vinyl, and collectibles, Iron Bucket Antiques (380 St. Andrew St. W., Fergus; www.ironbucketantiques.com; tel. 519/787-8287) is the best one-stop shop in this neck of the woods. Don’t be intimidated by knowledgeable collector Ron Dodge’s dry wit; he’s game for a good back-and-forth banter ’n’ barter.
- Books: Cozy used bookshop Twice Loved Books (62 Metcalfe St., Elora; www.twicelovedbooks.ca; tel. 226/369-0189) is jam-packed with more than 20,000 titles. To help browsers cull their choices, notes are scattered about the shelves effusing praise for particularly great novels, picture books, and poetry collections.
- Gourmet: Run by the Bzikot family, the Best Baa Dairy (820 Gartshore St., Fergus; www.bestbaa.com; tel. 519/787-0707) is a small operation that sources sheep’s milk from 10 Amish farms that raise happy sheep, free to roam the countryside and graze where they please. Their product line includes cheeses, yogurts, and milk. Everything on offer is delectably creamy.
- Unique Gifts: Sarah Barber has coined the term “chateau chic” to describe the wares she sells at Honeychurch Lane (65 Metcalfe St., Elora; www.honeychurchlane.com; tel. 226/384-4058). Pinterest-inspired decorators come here for velvet upholstery and crystal-decked chandeliers, but between the larger items, there’s also Dash & Albert rugs, vintage glass and silverware, as well as sparking jewelry to be found.
- Home Decor: You’ve heard about statement jewelry, maybe a statement watch, but how about a statement clock to add zip (and punctuality) to a wall? Chanticleer (In the Elora Mews, 45 Mill St. W., Elora; www.chanticleershop.ca; tel. 519/846-8796) is a whimsical shop that carries quirky art, attention-grabbing clocks, as well as tchotchkes—the collection of decorative roosters is particularly impressive.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.