In the center of town near the marketplace stands Faaborg's major landmark, an old belfry which is all that remains from the Church of St. Nicolai, the town's first church, which was built in the 16th century but demolished by 1600 because of structural flaws. For reasons known only to themselves, the town fathers did not rebuild the church but kept the belfry, whose carillon bells play hymns four times a day. Visitors are allowed to climb the tower in summer for a view of the town.