Martha Washington's father and John Paul Jones's brother are buried in the graveyard of this church, and members of the first parish congregation included Mary Ball Washington and Revolutionary War generals Hugh Mercer and George Weedon. The original church on this site was built in 1732; the current Romanesque Revival structure, in 1849. During the Battle of Fredericksburg, the church was hit at least 25 times. It served as a Union hospital during the Battle of the Wilderness in 1864, when 10,000 wounded soldiers filled every available building in town (the New York City Police Department returned a stolen communion set in 1866). Note the three signed Tiffany windows.