The first to be constructed of the triumvirate of church spires that dominate central Ghent, St. Nicholas displays a mixture of Romanesque elements and the Flemish Schelde Gothic architectural style. An impressive 13th- to 15th-century church, it is a veritable mountain of Tournai bluestone and was paid for by Ghent’s wealthy medieval merchants as an ostentatious signal of their wealth to other Flemish cities. A baroque high altar and other rich decorations embellish the interior; these date from after the Protestant Beeldenstorm (Iconoclastic Fury) of 1566, during which Catholic churches across the Low Countries were ransacked. As extensive restoration is ongoing so currently the best ways to appreciate the Gothic detailing of St. Nicholas’s flying buttresses and slender stained-glass windows is from the viewing platform of the Belfort.