This villa, designed by Alexander "Greek" Thomson and built in 1858, is probably the best example of his innovative style as applied to stately Victorian homes. Magnificently original, its interior restoration (which is ongoing) has revealed that the architect was apparently concerned with almost every element of the house's design, right down to the wallpaper and painted friezes. Now operated by the National Trust for Scotland, visitors have access to most parts of the building and surrounding gardens. Most impressive is the overall exterior design, as well as the home's parlor, with its circular bay window, the cupola over the staircase, and the detailed cornicing around the ceiling in the dining room. There are also 2 hectares (5 acres) of grounds and a small kitchen garden.