advertisement

Located about 30 miles east of the east entrance to the national park, the trading post has been operating since 1916 and encompasses a sprawling gift shop, motel, and RV park, but the standout operation is the restaurant. With a mix of Victorian (ornate woodwork, and a pressed tin ceiling) and Navajo trappings (rugs and art), its an interesting place for the eye, enhanced by the big picture windows affording a view of the seemingly endless red desert. Meals are hearty and feature lots of regional spice, from the French toast stuffed with prickly-pear jelly for breakfast to the French dip on Navajo fry bread at lunch. Dinner adds steak, seafood, and Mexican plates to the mix.