Next to the Domkirche is one of Graz's most remarkable buildings. Begun in 1614 and completed in 1638, this structure was intended as the tomb of the emperor and his first wife. The church, with a crossing cupola and a vaulted tomb chapel, is regarded as the best example of mannerism in Austria. The high altar is an early work of J. B. Fischer von Erlach, done from 1695 to 1697. The tomb's central sarcophagus, intended for Ferdinand's parents, contains only his mother's remains.