This plantation is one of the few that still functions as a working farm (and as such, is only open by appointment). Built in 1750 by Marquis Vincent de Ternant, the house is one of the oldest in the state, and its two stories rise above a raised brick basement. Galleries encircle the house, which is flanked by two brick pigeonniers (pigeon houses). Indigo was planted here at first; in the 1800s, sugar cane became the main crop. It's still grown, along with corn, soybeans, and cattle. During the Civil War, this house hosted generals from both sides (General Nathaniel Banks of the Union and General Dick Taylor of the Confederacy) -- not, of course, at the same time. Parlange is a National Historic Landmark and is owned by relatives of the original builders.