This brightly colored “steamboat Gothic” mansion was completed in 1856 by Edmond B. Marmillion, who died before he could occupy the home. He willed it to his two sons, one of whom married in 1855 while on a grand tour of Europe. The new wife undertook elaborate redecorations, leaving the son sans fruscin, or “without a cent.” Thus its first name, St. Frusquin . . . later changed to San Francisco.

The fanciful three-story house, which underwent a $1.3-million freshening in 2014, has wide galleries resembling a ship’s double decks, and twin stairs leading to a broad main portal. Inside are beautiful carved woodwork, cypress ceilings, and walls gloriously painted with flowers, birds, nymphs, and cherubs.