Located near the entrance to the Mudeungsan Provincial Park, Wonhyosa was also founded by the famous Monk Wonhyo Daesa. Excavations show that the temple was built at the end of the Shilla Dynasty and renovated during the reign of King Chungsuk (1314-39) of the Goryeo Dynasty. Destroyed during the Korean War, it was rebuilt from the mid-1950s to the 1960s. Three of the main buildings were renovated in the 1980s. During the renovation some 100 relics of copper, gold, and clay were excavated from the Daewun-jeong site.