The convict-built Lodge on Elizabeth is among the oldest buildings in Tasmania, completed in 1829 and now listed by the National Trust. Originally a gentleman’s residence (including, at one time, a Tasmanian premier), it later became the first private boys’ school in Tasmania. It’s well situated just a 12-minute walk from Salamanca Place and is surrounded by restaurants. All rooms are decorated with antiques; many are quite romantic, with four-poster beds and some with Jacuzzis. Complimentary drinks are served in the communal living room in the evening. The Convict’s Cottage is a cute self-contained spa cottage, just for two, on the grounds.
- Frommer's Staff